Different types of honey and their health benefits
Чагин А. Е., Куимова М. В. Different types of honey and their health benefits // Молодой ученый. 2015. №12. С. 98-100.
Honey has been appreciated and used since ancient times. It has an excellent taste and extraordinary flavor.
Honey has a very wide range of medicinal properties. First of all, it is a powerful source of energy, as it has a high content of carbohydrates, which are the basic material for the energy of the human body. It contains:
- digestible sweeteners (glucose and fructose);
- vitamins (B9, B5, B6, C, etc.);
- amino acids;
- micro and macro elements (potassium, phosphorus, chlorine, calcium, sodium fluorine, copper, iodine, iron, zinc, etc.);
- lipids (fats) .
It is known that the taste, smell, color and density of honey are directly dependent on the nectar that bees gather. There are a lot of types of honey:
- white (has antibacterial properties. It has expectorant and anti-inflammatory action. In folk medicine it is used to treat angina, rhinitis, laryngitis, bronchial asthma, etc.);
- acacia (is used as a general tonic, as well as in case of insomnia, gastrointestinal, biliary and renal diseases);
- chestnut (is used in the treatment of gastrointestinal disturbance, as well as in the treatment of kidney disease);
- buckwheat (is recommended for diseases of the respiratory system);
- clover (sweet clover honey) (is used in the treatment of avitaminosis);
- raspberry (is used for colds and as a general tonic for vitamin deficiency and kidney disease);
- mountain (is used in respiratory diseases);
- mint (is used as a choleretic, sedative, analgesic and antiseptic remedy);
- dandelion (is used for the treatment of anemia, loss of appetite and liver diseases);
- carroty (is used in the treatment of eyes);
- melissa (is used for the treatment of cardiovascular system and neuroses);
- meadow (is used in the treatment of various diseases, especially diseases of the kidneys; it has softening, anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect, etc.).
Over other sugars, honey has the following advantages:
- it is quickly and easily digested;
- it has no irritable effect on the mucosa of the gastrointestinal tract;
- it is a sedative drug; it soothes and relaxes;
- it has therapeutic properties.
Honey is rather caloric, as it is contains about 300 calories in 100 grams. Honey increases energy levels, vitality and gives strength. It comes as no surprise that in ancient Olympic Games, the athletes followed a diet that included a large amount of honey.
As honey helps the body absorb calcium, it promotes brain health and improves memory . Honey is a natural antibiotic and can be used as a conventional treatment for wounds and burns .
Honey is recommended for patients suffering from:
- heart diseases;
- ailments, etc. [2, 3, 6].
Despite useful properties, honey has contraindications. In particular it should not be eaten by people who are allergic to honey and its components.
Thus, daily use of 20–50 grams of honey significantly strengthens the immune system, protects the body from bacteria, improves blood and metabolism, relieves pain and calms the central nervous system.
1. 10 health benefits of honey. http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/10-health-benefits-of-honey (accessed June 13, 2015).
2. 5 Things you didn’t know about honey. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/10/20/health-benefits-honey.aspx (accessed June 13, 2015).
3. Health benefits of honey. http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/health-benefits-of-honey.html (accessed June 13, 2015).
4. Honey: health benefits and uses in medicine. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/264667.php (accessed June 13, 2015).
5. Liquid gold: 7 Health benefits of honey that could heal your whole body. http://www.medicaldaily.com/liquid-gold-7-health-benefits-honey-could-heal-your-whole-body-325932 (accessed June 13, 2015).
6. The health benefits of honey. http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/nutrition/nutrition+tips/the+health+benefits+of+honey,11749 (accessed June 13, 2015).