About students’ research work
Сидельцева Х. Е., Куимова М. В. About students’ research work // Молодой ученый. 2015. №9. С. 1182-1183.
The measure of greatness in a scientific idea is the extent to which it stimulates thought
and opens up new lines of research
Paul A. M. Dirac
After Russia’s joining to the Bologna process, the requirements for educational programs have been changed. Modern alumni should be good at performing a wide range of work, learn throughout life (life-long learning), be continuously engaged in development and self-education, understand and respect cultural diversity. In other words, the educational process is aimed at training professionals able to reproduce and develop the material and intellectual potential of the country and work on the international labor market.
Productive development of modern education is inconceivable without students’ participation in research work. Students’ research activity may include the following:
- defense of the coursework and diploma projects with the elements of scientific research;
- laboratory research;
- writing and defending scientific projects;
- participation in research seminars and competitions;
- preparation of reports and presentations for students scientific conferences of different levels (regional, national and international);
- participation in research work at offsite enterprises.
Research work allows student to acquire and develop inventive abilities opening the path to the election of application tasks of science and production . Students’ participation in research enhances the quality of theoretical and practical preparation for future professional activity, organizes the process of education, promotes development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills and allows them fuller and deeper understanding of their major subjects .
Involvement in research favors balance between collaborative and individual work, determines an area of interest and helps students explore career fields . Additionally, research work contributes to the interdisciplinary approach in teaching, develops personal potential and independent learning skills, and prepares students to take responsibility for and accept consequences of their actions . Moreover, participation in research activities encourages:
- formation of a cohesive learning community;
- problem-defining and its solution;
- communication skills;
- cognitive skills;
- creative skills;
- research skills;
- team work skills;
- persistence and achieving goals;
- skills of public presentations.
University administrations should encourage students’ research activities and motivate it by means of:
- celebration research success and broadcast good news;
- commemorative prizes;
- diplomas and certificates of merit;
- financial aid;
- scholarships, etc.
Thus, research work is one of the leading factors in the development of the university. It has a positive impact on the quality of education, promotes professional growth, provides a link between training and modern science and focuses on the acquisition of knowledge, personal development and preparation for the future professional activity.
1. Горенков Е. М., Энгиноева М. Р., Мамедова К. К. Научно-исследовательская работа студента как качество процесса профессионального высшего образования // Наука и Мир. 2014. Т. 3. № 3 (7). С. 45–47.
2. Ломакина Л. И., Породенко В. А., Травенко Е. Н., Ануприенко С. А. Научно-практическая деятельность студента как форма интеграции образовательной и научно-исследовательской работы // Международный журнал экспериментального образования. 2013. № 4–1. С. 184–186.
3. Тлехусеж М. А. Научно-исследовательская работа студента как фактор повышения уровня подготовки выпускника // Научные труды Кубанского государственного технологического университета. 2014. № 4. С. 275–277.
4. The benefits of undergraduate research: the student’s perspective http://dus.psu.edu/mentor/2013/05/undergraduate-research-students-perspective/ (accessed April 30, 2015).