Relevance of distance learning. Distance Learning System Moodle. The structure of educational and methodical complex discipline. Providing educational dialogue.
Keywords: distance learning, Moodle, CASE.
One of the priorities of higher education in modern conditions is the preparation of the new formation with broad fundamental knowledge, initiative, ability to adapt to changing labor market demands and technologies. The introduction of distance learning necessitates a change of attitude in their activities the main subjects of the educational system — students and teachers. The process of transferring the sum of ready knowledge is transformed into a process of active, mainly independent search and knowledge acquisition. Distance learning focuses on independent work on the development and implementation of capacity for self-education and self-development. The student is the most active participant in the educational process, and the teacher acts as an organizer, consultant, head .
In order to ensure access to quality education for all segments of the population, integration with the global educational environment, the formation of a unified educational information environment, improvement of educational and methodical and scientific support of the educational process in West Kazakhstan Agrarian-Technical University named after Zhangir Khan in the 2009–2010 academic year basis of the order of MES RK dated April 7, 2010 № 157 «On holding in higher education experiment on introduction of pilot programs» began teaching students using distance learning technologies (DLT).
As a distance learning system (LMS) with open source has been selected among the distance learning «Moodle», allowing you to create high-quality distance learning courses. In terms of features Moodle bears comparison with known commercial learning management system, at the same time favorably differs from them in that is distributed in open source. The organization of educational material — the most important component of distance learning. The main features of Moodle are as follows :
- has a simple and efficient web-based interface;
- design is modular and can be easily modified;
- students can edit their accounts, add photos and edit multiple personal data and details;
- supports various structures courses: «calendar», «forum», «theme»;
- each course can be further protected by a code word;
- a rich set of modules — components for courses — Chat, Poll, Forum, Glossary, Workbook, lessons, test, profile, Scorm, Survey, Wiki, seminar, resources (as a text or web page or as a catalog);
- changes in the course since the last time the user logs into the system, can be displayed on the first page of the course;
- almost all type texts (resources, forum messages, write in your notebook) can be edited by a built-in WYSIWYG RichText — editor;
- all estimates (from the forum, workbooks, tests and assignments) can be collected on the same page (or in a file);
- access to the full report on the occurrence of a user in the system and work with charts and details of the work on the various modules (the last entry, the number of readings, messages, notes in a notebook);
- possible to configure E-mail — newsletters, forums, ratings and comments of teachers.
Through distance learning portal Moodle students have access to educational and methodical complex discipline (EMCD), which allows to ensure the successful development and implementation of educational programs. Students who do not have access to the global Internet network, EMCD provided in the form of the case (a set of training materials in electronic form, issued by the trainee for independent work). EMCD developed responsible department and includes the following kits:
a) Compulsory set consists of:
- working curriculum, including the content of the discipline, calendar-thematic plan, a list of recommended literature (basic and supplementary), modular partition discipline schedule for remote consultation;
- lecture complex;
- materials and practical seminars;
- tasks for independent work of students;
- materials on the organization boundary control;
- materials on the organization of the final control;
b) An additional set includes:
- methodical instructions for the implementation of coursework;
- list of literature et al., helping to learning discipline.
Student working on a self-study material and must be skilled in self-mastery of new knowledge, using modern educational technology. Therefore, distance learning makes high demands on personality traits such as responsibility, commitment, ability to plan their work, the ability to track your progress, fixing their successes and setbacks in the educational activity. It should be noted that distance learning not only requires but also trains mental functions such as attention, memory, thinking.
After studying the lecture materials and perform practical tasks in a group, students pass the control of knowledge in the form of testing. And during the semester the student performs coursework (projects). Organization of data protection and types of work going on in the final examination of the contact phase of the learning process, ie, during the tests and examinations. Also plays an important role — providing educational dialogue. Teacher and student interaction through chat (on-line) and email (off-line). From an economic and technological point of view, e-mail is the most effective technology that can be used not only in the consultation process, but also to deliver a meaningful part of the training courses, sending students examinations, etc.
Design life cycle software shell CASE (Computer-Aided Software / System Engineering) technology with the help of a software tool Rational Rose (picture 1).
Picture 1. Use Case Diagram
Description for use cases:
a) Identification of the main performers
- student — a subject that is remotely studying at university. They can view their courses to respond to the task and watch your results;
- teacher — a subject that conducts correspondence courses. They can view the answers, evaluate them;
- administrator — the entity which organizes distance learning courses. It can create courses, delete, create users.
b) The objectives of each artist:
- student — should be trained;
- teacher — should be taught;
- administrator — service systems and databases (backup, restore, adding new users).
c) Primary and alternate streams:
- The main flow of 1:
· The student enters the system for training;
· Process account information, forum, main menu, calendar, courses;
· Processing of the content of the training course;
· The process of putting tasks;
· The process of putting boundary control;
· Formation of the statement;
· Processing of exam results;
· Formation of the final statement;
· Calculating GPA.
- The main flow of 2:
· Lecturers included in the system;
· Process data teacher;
· Processes courses available;
· Handles the response;
· Evaluation of the responses to the task.
- The main flow of 3:
· The administrator enters the system;
· Process data administrator;
· Processing base courses, credentials, processing control attendance system;
· Processing of the content of the report logs, reports statements.
- Alternative flow
· distance learning subjects correctly enter the data, and the system terminates the session;
· student is expelled from the university for poor academic performance.
Distance education technologies based on educational opportunities without having to attend an educational institution, by the regulation of the rate of students learning material, freely distribute the time to make a choice and training center, regardless of its location.
To improve the quality of the educational process effectively use distance learning technologies. Distance education technologies are the mechanism that allows not only to intensive use of information technology in the educational process, but also to transform these technologies into a part of the educational process .
In conclusion, we note that the implementation of the principle of «education throughout life» is impossible without distance learning.
1. Anisimov, А. М. Work in distance learning system Moodle. Study Guide / А. М. Anisimov. — Kharkiv: KNAME, 2008. — 275 page.
2. Bikmukhanbeyov I. Kh. On the organization of independent work of students in distance learning system / I. Kh. Bikmukhanbeyov // Proceedings of the XVIII International Conference «Application of new technologies in education». — 2007. — page. 274–276.
3. Zhuzbayev S. S. Problems of development of innovative distance learning / S. S. Zhuzbayev // Education and Modernity. — 2010. — № 1. — page. 21–24.
4. Quatrani T. Visual Modeling with Rational Rose 2000 and UML. / T. Quatrani — Moscow: DMK Press, 2001–176 page.