The strawberry is among the most popular berries. It has a delicious flavor, is low in fat and calories and is a valuable source of fiber and antioxidants. Strawberries can be a great addition to salads, muffins, pie, cakes, syrups, jams, jellies, ice creams, chocolates, etc.
The consuming of strawberries has infinite advantages. Strawberries help to decrease the risk of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer . Strawberries contain significant amounts of vitamins C and K, fiber and folic acid. Over the centuries strawberries have been used to help with digestive ailments, teeth whitening and skin irritations . Strawberries contain good amounts of minerals, such as:
Due to their high potassium content, strawberries work against high blood pressure, promote bone health and prevent esophageal cancer.
Strawberries are packed with vitamins:
- Vitamin A;
- Vitamin B1;
- Vitamin B2;
- Vitamin B6;
- Vitamin C;
- Vitamin E.
Strawberries contain a lot vitamin C, which boosts the immune system and supplements treatment for common colds and coughs. Vitamin C encourages metabolism, which helps the body to burn the calories, lose and normalize weight.
Additionally, strawberry helps to:
- normalize blood pressure;
- regulate nervous system;
- reduce the risk of arthritis, gout and cancer;
- reduce the risk of eye ailments;
- improve memory;
- generate brain tissues .
Strawberries have biotin, which promotes building strong hair and nails. Strawberry is used in anti-ageing creams and moisturizers, as it is a rich source of antioxidants.
Owing to the low glycemic index of 40, strawberries can be included in the diet of diabetic patients.
Furthermore, strawberries help to struggle with aging effects, atherosclerosis, vascular disease and a decline in cognitive function, reduce the risk of hypertension, prevent bone loss and reduces stress .
Strawberry enhances the function of the immune system, helps to improve concentration, memory, favors the sense of well-being and help with depression.
However, individuals, who are sensitive to allergy, should avoid strawberry as it may cause serious allergic reactions, including swelling, skin rash, headache, runny nose, itchy eyes and wheezing .
Thus, strawberry is low in calories but rich in minerals and vitamins that are essential for optimum health.
1. 5 healthy reasons to eat more fresh strawberries. http://www.chatelaine.com/health/diet/five-health-reasons-to-eat-more-fresh-strawberries/ (accessed May 09, 2015).
2. Health benefits of strawberries. https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/strawberries.html (accessed May 09, 2015).
3. Strawberries nutrition facts. http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/strawberries.html (accessed May 09, 2015).
4. The health benefits of... strawberries. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/ingredient-focus-strawberries (accessed May 09, 2015).
5. What are the health benefits of strawberries? http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/271285.php (accessed May 09, 2015).