Health benefits and nutrition facts of papaya
Кондранова А. М., Куимова М. В. Health benefits and nutrition facts of papaya // Молодой ученый. 2015. №12. С. 77-78.
Papaya originates from Mexico, but now it is cultivated in many tropical countries. It is consumed fresh, stewed, used in salads and sauces. As papaya has a lot of pectin, it is used for making jelly. Bark and stems of the papaya trees are used to make rope. In tropical areas, papaya is one of the most important fruit plants.
Universal benefits of papaya are in its extremely rich composition of proteins, carbohydrates, fiber, alkaloids, various enzymes and an impressive range of vitamins. Papaya contains vitamins: A, B, C, D, as well as:
- enzyme albumin [2, 8].
Papaya is used to normalize the function of the digestive tract. Regular consumption of the fruit is able to prevent the development of cancer. Papaya has a high concentration of antioxidants that help the body fight with the cells causing the growth of tumors. Papaya is recommended for the prevention of gastrointestinal tract cancer. Papaya has a dietary fiber that binds and removes harmful toxins from the human body. Additionally, papaya helps to:
- prevent diabetes;
- fight asthma;
- support the cardiovascular system;
- decrease loss of vision (it prevents the destruction of the retina and cataract formation, which slows down the aging processes);
- combat hernia;
- prevent flu;
- fight gastritis and peptic ulcer;
- recover strength of the body;
- boost mood;
- accelerate the healing of burns and wounds;
- fight vitamin deficiency;
- support the human body in good shape;
- regulate and maintain normal blood sugar level;
- lose some weight (as it is low in calories and high in nutritional values);
- combat various internal parasites (it cleanses the body, removes harmful substances and toxins) [3, 4, 5, 6, 7].
In tropical countries, papaya juice is used in treatment of diseases of the spine. It contains an enzyme that regenerates the connective tissue of intervertebral disks (calorizator).
Despite its medicinal properties, when the fruit is eaten in large quantities, it can cause an additional burden on the liver. Papaya can cause severe allergic reactions among people with intolerance to this product.
Papaya is used in cosmetology. As an ingredient of ointments and creams, it contributes to the removal of freckles and excess hair on the body, helps to get rid of psoriasis and acne. The fruit is also effective for treating dry skin. If mixed with honey, salt spa or olive oil, papaya is also suitable for use as a body scrub .
Thus, papaya is a delicious tropical fruit with many health benefits. It is known for its infection-fighting abilities; it is a natural remedy for several ailments and is effective against a number of stomach and intestinal problems.
1. 28 Amazing benefits of papaya for skin, hair and health http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-papaya-for-skin-and-hair/ (accessed June 12, 2015).
2. Health benefits — vitamins and minerals in papaya. http://healthism.blogspot.ru/2011/07/papaya.html (accessed June 12, 2015).
3. Health Benefits of Papaya. http://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/health-benefits-of-papaya.htm (accessed June 12, 2015).
4. Papaya fruit nutrition facts. http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/papaya-fruit.html (accessed June 12, 2015).
5. Papaya sweet answer to our well being and health. http://www.traditionaloven.com/articles/124/papaya-sweet-pawpaw-answer-to-well-being-and-health (accessed June 12, 2015).
6. Papaya. http://www.drugs.com/npc/papaya.html (accessed June 12, 2015).
7. What are the health benefits of papaya? http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/275517.php (accessed June 12, 2015).
8. What is papaya good for? http://foodfacts.mercola.com/papaya.html (accessed June 12, 2015).