Health benefits of jackfruit
Пальчевская Е. С., Куимова М. В. Health benefits of jackfruit // Молодой ученый. 2015. №12. С. 85-86.
India and Bangladesh are considered the native land for jackfruit. Today, this fruit has spread in the Philippines, Southeast Asia, Kenya and Uganda. Fruits of the jackfruit are the largest edible fruit growing on trees. Their length is 20–90 cm and diameter is 20 cm, they weigh up to 34 kg. It is believed that the jackfruit tree brings good luck as its Thai name means “support, help”.
The pulp of jackfruit consists of carbohydrates, sugar and vitamins. Jackfruit is an exotic sweet and delicious fruit packed with many minerals:
- copper [2, 3].
It is also rich in vitamins such as A, C and B vitamins. It contains niacin, riboflavin and folic acid. The fruits of jackfruit are very nutritious and contain about 40 % carbohydrates (starch), which is more than in bread. Therefore, (and because it is cheap) in India jackfruit is called the “bread for the poor”.
Consumption of jackfruit helps to:
- strengthen the immune system;
- prevent cancer;
- maintain blood pressure;
- reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke;
- lower the risk of heart disease;
- promote proper blood circulation and prevent cases of anemia;
- boost metabolism;
- improve digestion;
- prevent the deposition of fat and eliminate obesity;
- prevent and cure anemia;
- provide relief from asthma;
- strengthen and promote healthy bone;
- regulate blood sugar levels;
- maintain a healthy thyroid;
- prevent cold and infections;
- improve eyesight;
- prevent night blindness;
- inhibit the degeneration of cells;
- treat a number of skin problems;
- get a glowing complexion;
- fight wrinkles;
- promote hair growth [1, 5, 6].
The calorific value of jackfruit is 94 kcal per 100 grams. The fruit is inappropriate for people with individual intolerance.
Jackfruit is widely used in cooking. The flowers of the fruit are added to hot peppers and shrimp sauce. Young raw leaves can be added to the salad of papaya. The peel can be candied or pickled. Ripe fruits of jackfruit are eaten fresh. They are used for making marmalade, jelly and candy. Fully ripe slices of pulp can be frozen and stored in the refrigerator. Its many seeds are roasted and eaten. Unripe fruits are used as vegetables; they are boiled, fried and stewed.
Pulp jackfruit is splendidly matched with ice cream, other sweets and fruit. The pulp is often used in coconut milk as a fruit salad. Jackfruit is used as a filling for pies and even baked as vegetables. Chicken can be stuffed with jackfruit giving the meat an exotic spicy flavor .
Thus, owing to the rich amount of beneficial minerals and vitamins, jackfruit generates energy, reduces the risk of heart attack, prevents bone related disorders, protects against bacterial infections and prevents vision-related problems.
1. 25 Amazing benefits and uses of jackfruit. http://www.healthbeckon.com/jackfruit-fruit-benefits/ (accessed June 9, 2015).
2. Jack fruit health benefits and nutrition values http://www.fruitsinfo.com/jack %20fruit-health-benefits-nutrition-values.php (accessed June 9, 2015).
3. Jackfruit health benefits and nutrition facts http://wiki-fitness.com/jackfruit-health-benefits-nutrition-facts/ (accessed June 9, 2015).
4. Jackfruit nutrition facts. http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/jackfruit.html (accessed June 9, 2015).
5. Nutrition fact: jackfruit. http://recipeclout.india-server.com/jackfruit.html (accessed June 9, 2015).
6. Top 10 health benefits of jackfruit. http://www.ehealthzine.com/health-benefits-of-jackfruit.html (accessed June 9, 2015).