Useful properties of red huckleberries have been known since ancient times. It is gathering begins in September and continues until November. The berry is unpretentious in storage and retains its useful properties for a long time. Its medicinal properties are due to a number of useful substances.
The caloric value of red huckleberry is about 46 kcal per 100 grams. Red huckleberries contain:
a) organic acids:
d) pectin substances;
e) vitamins A, B, C, E;
f) mineral substances (calcium, copper, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and manganese, etc).
Additionally, it has a lot of essential oil, which contains organic compounds. The seeds of red huckleberries contain fat, fast-dissolving oil. Red huckleberries have a lot of benefits, thanks to this rich composition.
Red huckleberries are an excellent assistant in the combat with ischemic heart disease, due to the content of copper, chromium and mineral salts. As red huckleberries reduce glucose levels, they may be recommended for people with high levels of blood glucose.
Berries of red huckleberry are used in the treatment of:
- vitamin deficiency;
- gastritis with low acidity;
- liver disease;
- diseases of the urinary tract and kidneys (kidney stones, cystitis) .
Red huckleberry juice is also useful for pregnant women. It is recommended for patients with anemia and nervousness. Regular consumption of red huckleberry or its syrup helps to improve vision. Tea with red huckleberry perfectly quenches thirst and helps to reduce body heat in respiratory diseases .
Red huckleberries have not only beneficial berries, but also leaves. Leaves of red huckleberries contain antiseptics arbutin and tannin, which promote the normalization of the gastro-intestinal tract. Leaves, along with diet, are also used for patients who need to lose weight .
Decoctions of the leaves are useful for hair loss, dandruff and help to eliminate skin inflammation. The extract of red huckleberries has a tonic effect on the skin, improves its elasticity, strengthens the walls of the epidermis and prevents aging.
Red huckleberries can quickly clear toxins so it is indispensable for intoxication. It can even egest some salts of heavy metals — cobalt, lead and cesium.
However, red huckleberries are not recommended if you have:
- high acidity;
Red huckleberries are used not only in medicine, but also in:
- cosmetology (masks of these berries moisturize the skin and prevent premature formation of wrinkles and fading);
- cooking (the berries are used as a filling for pies, “red huckleberries charlotte”, pies, cheese-and-curd cakes, jam, desserts, etc.).
Thus red huckleberries are a priceless gift to humans from nature. Their benefits for the body are undeniable, and the natural medicines from “natural pharmacy” are always healthier and safer than the highest quality vitamins and tablets.
1. Juicy facts about huckleberries. http://www.whitefishwave.com/newsletter/juicy-facts-about-huckleberries/ (accessed May 29, 2015).
2. The health benefits of eating wild huckleberries and recipe. https://food-cooking.knoji.com/the-health-benefits-of-eating-wild-huckleberries-and-recipe/ (accessed May 29, 2015).
3. What are red huckleberries? http://motherhood.modernmom.com/red-huckleberries-7959.html (accessed May 29, 2015).