Useful properties of bilberry
Чагин А. Е., Куимова М. В. Useful properties of bilberry // Молодой ученый. 2015. №11. С. 727-729.
From ancient times bilberry was considered to be “rejuvenating”. Thanks to the substances it contains, bilberries have a positive influence on the human body. The useful properties of bilberries are recognized both by scholars and by folk medicine.
Bilberry is particularly rich in:
- iron and other minerals.
Furthermore, bilberry contains carbohydrates, vitamins C, B1, B6, PP and organic acids. Only 100 grams of bilberries make up the adult daily requirement for vitamin C, iron and manganese. In addition, bilberries are rich in pectin which is able to clean the intestines from the decomposition of products, toxins and even salts of heavy metals.
Bilberry contains a huge amount of vitamins and minerals, but the most important advantage is its antioxidants. They are a good prevention against benign tumor quality. Glycosides, tannic astrictive substances and anthocyans help to reduce the fragility of capillary tubes and the penetrance of blood vessel walls.
Bilberries have anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, urinative, bile-expelling and astringent effect. Bilberry is used to:
- improve vision (enhances blood supply to the retinae, acutes night vision and reduces eye fatigue);
- treat anemia, sore throat, lithonephria, arthragra, rheumatism, avitaminosis;
- treat skin diseases (weeping eczema, burns, ulcers, etc.);
- clean the blood;
- restore the liver function;
- improve the tone;
- reduce the levels of blood glucose;
- increase the acidity of gastric juice;
- improve the digestion and metabolism;
- stabilize collagen tissues (such as tendons, ligaments and cartilage);
- enhance short-term memory;
- reduce the incidence of degenerative disorders [1, 2, 4, 5].
Bilberry is used in cosmetology to improve skin. The berry can slow the aging process. It remarkably excretes slags, promotes rejuvenation and age slowing.
The pancreatic gland is an important organ which prevents the development of diabetes. Scientists have found out that bilberries are a great tool for curing the disease.
Bilberry is used not only for diseases but also for prevention. The use of medications with bilberry leads to the increase of immunity and prevention of illnesses of the cardiovascular system; improves the performance of all organs.
The leaves of bilberry are almost as useful as its berries. They are able to provide:
- tonic effect;
- antiseptic action;
- inflammatory effect.
Bilberry does not have any known negative effects. However, it can by harmful if one:
- overeats the berries (more than 0.5 kg a day);
- has idiosyncrasy;
- has an allergy;
- combines bilberry with cloudberry, raspberry, wild and garden strawberry .
Doctors do not recommend the berry to patients with bile passages and pancreatic gland problems.
Bilberry is successfully used in compotes or soups, drinks, juice, pies, jams, cakes, whipped creams and ice reams, etc.
Thus, bilberry promotes the cell renewal of the amphiblestrodes, improves red blood cells and circulation, strengthens blood vessels, improves memory, prevents infections and can even maintain a healthy weight. Due to its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, bilberry facilitates the disease states in case of colds, inflammatory processes of the upper respiratory airway and headaches.
1. Bilberry (Vaccinium Myrtillus). http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-bilberry.html (accessed May 29, 2015).
2. Bilberry benefits and side effects. http://www.naturalalternativeremedy.com/bilberry-benefits-and-side-effects/ (accessed May 29, 2015).
3. Bilberry. http://www.drugs.com/cdi/bilberry.html (accessed May 29, 2015).
4. Health benefits of bilberry, side effects, dosage. http://www.zhion.com/Bilberry.html. (accessed May 29, 2015).
5. What are the benefits of bilberry? http://www.livestrong.com/article/115740-benefits-bilberry/ (accessed May 29, 2015).