Health properties of laminaria
Габерлинг И. П., Куимова М. В. Health properties of laminaria // Молодой ученый. 2015. №10. С. 408-409.
Laminaria grows in the northern seas in large colonies at a depth of 4 to 15 meters along the coast, forming dense thickets. Initially, laminaria was eaten by pragmatic Chinese and was entered in the list of medicinal products.
The main advantage of laminaria is high content of iodine. Moreover, this iodine is nearly totally absorbed by the body. This “light” iodine helps to normalize the function of the thyroid gland. Laminaria can be a real cure for a number of regions where the population is experiencing a chronic shortage of iodine.
Laminaria has a minimum energy content of about 5 kcal per 100 grams, protein is 0.9 g, fat is 0.2 g. Furthermore, it has a unique composition of:
- amino acids;
- polyunsaturated fatty acids;
- vitamins (vitamin A (retinol and beta-carotene), vitamin B (riboflavin, thiamine, pyridoxine, cyanocobalamin, C and PP);
- heavy metals and chemicals (mercury, cadmium, lead, etc.);
- macro-and micronutrients.
As compared to conventional cabbage, laminaria has twice the phosphorus, eleven times the magnesium, sixteen times the iron and forty times the sodium.
Regular consumption of laminaria reduces the likelihood of blood clots. Laminaria is a preventive remedy for atherosclerosis, osteoporosis and helps to maintain the health of women. Furthermore, laminaria:
- reduces inflammation;
- removes toxins from the body and improves the health of the digestive tract;
- fights obesity, cellulite and rheumatism;
- combats psoriasis and eczema;
- strengthens blood vessels;
- boosts and improves mental alertness .
Laminaria adds to the diet and can help with weight loss, as it affects the thyroid, and helps to increase metabolism .
Laminaria protects the skin from damage caused by exposure to ultraviolet B radiation from sunlight and has a radio-protective effect against exposure to gamma radiation.
Yet, laminaria has some harmful effects to health. Doctors state that it should be eaten with extreme caution during pregnancy as it can cause unpredictable reactions. In addition, it should be eaten carefully by people with a mysterious illness as iodine intolerance and patients suffering from gastrointestinal issues, as laminaria may act as an irritant to the gastrointestinal tract. As laminaria contains some concentration of heavy metals and chemicals, its significant consumption can lead to medical complications . Taking large amounts of laminaria may lead to side effects such as acne, stomach upset, diarrhea, nausea or a metallic taste in your mouth .
Laminaria has a nice flavor and is served in many Asian cuisines such as Japanese, Chinese and Korean. It is most useful to eat laminaria raw, although, as a practical matter, only coastal residents have this opportunity.
Dried laminaria is actively involved in the normalization of metabolism, promotes weight loss and enhances immunity. It treats diseases of the heart and blood vessels, normalizes the central nervous system and is useful for the bones.
Laminaria is used not only as a food product. It is widely used in cosmetology. Most cosmetic companies do not disregard laminaria and produce a whole line of cosmetic products based on it. It is used in:
- shampoos and conditioners, body lotions;
- body wraps, cleansing muds and bath soak products;
- make-up removers, and cleansing milks;
- facial masks and toners, body scrubs and soaps;
- rejuvenating creams .
Thus, laminaria is the most famous source of organic iodine. Laminaria is a great product for the normalization of the digestive system, improves the metabolic processes in the body; possesses a tonic action and promotes physical activity.
1. Health benefits of seaweed. https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/other/health-benefits-of-seaweeds.html (accessed May 11, 2015).
2. Laminaria digitata. https://seaweedindustry.com/seaweed/type/laminaria-digitata (accessed May 11, 2015).
3. Laminaria extract & weight loss. http://www.livestrong.com/article/295828-laminaria-extract-weight-loss/ (accessed May 11, 2015).
4. Laminaria. http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/herbs/laminaria.html (accessed May 11, 2015).
5. The benefits of kelp seaweed as a superfood. http://www.superfoods-for-superhealth.com/kelp.html (accessed May 11, 2015).