This article reviews the international initiative of the Republic of Tajikistan in the water sector that has been adopted by the United Nations. The purpose of this international initiative is to find solutions to water problems, to prevent international conflicts, to attract international attention to the proper rational use of water resources, for present and future days.
В данной статье рассматривается международная инициатива Республики Таджикистан в водном секторе, принятая Организацией Объединенных Наций. Целью этой международной инициативы является поиск решений водных проблем, предотвращение международных конфликтов, привлечение международного внимания к правильному рациональному использованию водных ресурсов на сегодняшний день и в будущем.
Independence is the best value and the most valuable value for any state and nation and is the main factor of development and groundbreaking presence on the world stage for the planning and protection of national and state interests.
Tajikistan during For 27 years of independence and with the wise policy of the Leader of the Nation, His Excellency Emomali Rahmon and the global initiatives of this person have earned a worthy place in the international arena, in the present time no collective decision-making in the region can be imagined without the active presence of Tajikistan. Today, thanks to independence, the whole world knows the Tajik nation and a country called Tajikistan.
The Republic of Tajikistan has been recognized on the international arena as an initiator country for addressing global issues in the region and in the world in the efficient use of water resources1,3. Although considerable progress has been made in addressing water issues and initiatives of the Republic of Tajikistan, about 1 billion of the world's population currently lacks access to safe drinking water. The main problems of water scarcity in the world are climate resilience to surplus water resources, growth of industrial enterprises, water demand for agriculture and so on. According to available data, the average temperature has risen in recent decades, and thousands of small glaciers have already melted. Because they are the main source of glacial rivers, it leads to a decrease in their volume in the medium and long periods.
Related to this population growth is one of the major factors affecting water supply. Annual population growth in Tajikistan is about 2.5 %, which will lead to an increase in demand for water, electricity, food, and shelter. If in 1991, per capita population of Tajikistan consisted of 11963 m3 of natural water resources and 0.13 ha of irrigated land, but in 2019, these indicators have changed to 7711 m3 and 0.09 ha, respectively.
Population growth and demand for water resources require urgent measures for proper regulation and equitable distribution of water resources, water resources management, integrated water resources management, coordination of various users, efficient water use, implementation of energy-efficient water technologies in production.
The Republic of Tajikistan because of the wise policy of the Leader of the Nation, during the period of independence, was able not only to establish a fruitful relationship with the outside world but also to establish its own diplomacy, based on the protection of national interests and respect for universal values. and recognize the influencer in addressing global issues.
It may be enough to confirm the statement made by a UN body about the Leader of our nation and his initiatives. On September 20, 2010 in New York at the General Assembly of the United Nations General Assembly on the Millennium Development Goals, the Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations Sha Thu Kan said: “President Emomali Rahmon is a world champion in addressing global water issues” [2;8].
- Presentation of the President of the Republic of Tajikistan at the 54th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (October 1, 1999) — Announcement of 2003 — The year of freshwater. Under this initiative, on September 20, 2000, the 55th Session of the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed 2003 the International Year of Fresh Water. On August 29 — September 1, 2003, the International Forum on freshwater was held in Dushanbe, which was attended by representatives of 53 countries, 91 international organizations, members of the Government, members and deputies of the Majlisi Milli and Majlisi Namoyandagon, the statesmen, diplomats., specialists from different fields.
- Recommendation of the President of the Republic of Tajikistan to declare 2005–2015 as the International Decade for Action «Water for Life”. On December 23, 2003, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the relevant Declaration and declared 2005–2015 as the International Decade for Action «Water for Life». The goal of declaring the International Decade for Action «Water for Life” for 2005–2015, as stated in the speeches of our President, is to bring global water problems to the attention of the world community and halve the number of people living in the world. The use of fresh water is a worldwide problem.
- Announcement of 2013 — International Year of Water Cooperation (20 December 2010). 20–21 August 2013 High-Level International Conference on Water Cooperation to take place in Dushanbe Monday was held.
- December 21, 2016, at the plenary session of the UN General Assembly resolution «International Decade of Action” Water for Sustainable Development ", 2018–2028, initiated by the Republic of Tajikistan and co-chaired by 177 Member States of the United Nations General Assembly. It has been nominated by the United Nations, which confirms the successful policy of the President of the country and the Government of the country in the international arena.
The main objective of the “International Decade for Action, Water for Sustainable Development” 2018–2028, is to provide an additional mechanism and platform to facilitate the achievement of sustainable development goals in the water sector and other internationally agreed water objectives. In particular, the resolution calls on the UN Member States, intergovernmental organizations and all stakeholders to pay special attention to the sustainable development of water resources and to work through the Integrated Water Resources Management to enhance collaboration and engagement at all levels, to involve and implement programs and projects in the field of water.
On March 22, 2018, the 72nd session of the UN General Assembly on the occasion of the International Decade for Action, «Water for Sustainable Development, 2018–2028" will be held at the UN Headquarters in New York, USA. The Republic of Tajikistan held a high-level event [4, c.11].
The President of the Republic of Tajikistan HE Mr. Emomali Rahmon made the official opening of the first International Decade to accept the International Decade for the International Decade, having been officially opened at the session. On June 20–22, 2013 the International High-Level Conference on the International Decade of Action «Water for Sustainable Development, 2018–2028" was held in Dushanbe. It should be mentioned that all the global water initiatives of the Republic of Tajikistan are aimed at solving water problems on the planet and we hope that the International Decade of Action «Water for Sustainable Development, 2018–2028" will play a key role in addressing global water problems.
- Message from the President of the Republic of Tajikistan “On the Directions of the Domestic and Foreign Policy of the Republic of Tajikistan”, Dushanbe Monday, December 26, 2018
- 25 steps in the universe. — Monday: Irfon, 2016.220 s.
- Nabiev Z. A. International Water Initiatives of the Republic of Tajikistan // Materials of the III scientific-practical conference of graduate students, undergraduates, and students entitled «Science — the basis of innovative development”. Part 1. — Dushanbe: Publishing House of the Tajik Technical University, 2018, -353 p.
- Azimov N. S., Azimov A.Yu. Water is the source of life and development of mankind // Collection of scientific articles by water workers of the Republic of Tajikistan, dedicated to the International Decade of Action “Water for Sustainable Development” (p. 2018–2028). -December: Contrast, 2018. -344 p.
- Report UN “Millennium Development Goals: Achievements in Tajikistan ”, 2010.