Some modern methods of teaching English
Мадиева Г. А., Дусбаева Н. Н. Some modern methods of teaching English // Молодой ученый. 2016. №7.2. С. 102-104.
The growing interest in many parts of the world in Modern Methods of Teaching English brings with it the question of how it should be done – how curriculum, subject, matter, and methodology should differ from the familiar norms developed in the past. A lot has been written on traditional teaching English, and until recently, the demand for the information on Modern Methods of Teaching English has been limited. Nowadays many books and articles are written to attract attention to this point. In planning curricular and methods it has been suggested that an understanding of Students and their needs, interest, abilities, likes, dislikes, and developmental status should take precedence over other considerations. By using modern pedagogical and technological methods, and by the way introducing leading styles of teaching, teach growing generations, the system of speaking easily in these languages can be developed fully. As well as opportunities in foreign partnership helps to develop it. Known to us, using innovations and new pedagogical technologies are resulting well. Sometimes using same styles in teaching language may let go down interests of student to language. We advise some types of teaching in use, not to go down interest to foreign language.
1. Dialogical speech- in this way students have a talk each other by creative approach. “Modern Methodology of Teaching English puts Speaking in Dialogues in the first place for developing speaking skills. These skills can be trained with various teaching aids, including texts of fiction. Such dialogues give an opportunity to avoid traditional rendering of the texts and turn them into living English speech”. More than that, all the vocabulary is remembered much better. In dialogues, students train in fluency, quick reaction, acting skills and, of course, grammatical correctness.
2. Student reads the text himself and tells the meaning. Reading is interactive. Reading short stories, novels and other literary works written by famous Uzbek, English and American writers is very important in language learning. As a teacher of English you may apply a variety of reading strategies, analyze literary elements use a variety of strategies to read unfamiliar words and build vocabulary, prepare, organize, and present literary interpretations.
3. Understanding by listening - by these way students can improve speech skills. Listening is a receptive form of speech activity. Comprehension of speech while listening mainly based on auditory feelings. By perceiving, reproduce what we hear, in the form of inwardly speech. Listening comprehension is impossible without working of speech motor analyzer. Of course internal speaking requires ability to speak in this language. Understanding of sounding speech, in the moment of comprehension, is accompanied by intellectual activity, which includes recognizing of speech means and interpretation of the content.
4. Learning English through the watching movies. Nowadays, teachers take into consideration students’ demands for watching real movie stories together with reading books, magazines and newspapers. Because, as it is known not only printed materials can serve as a great source of teaching but also songs and movies play a key role in learning foreign languages.
5. The importance of teaching Vocabulary. Vocabulary is one of the aspects of the language to be taught in the institutes. In addition to learn new vocabulary, learner need to able to use strategies to cope with unknown vocabulary met in listening or reading text, to make up for gaps in productive vocabulary in speaking and writing to gain fluency in using known vocabulary and to learn new words in isolation. Vocabulary learning is not on end in itself. A rich vocabulary makes to perform the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing easier.
By the type of teaching in traditional style is divided into several aspects such as speaking, analytic reading, reading at home, practice grammar, practical phonetics. As a result 3-4 teachers teach students in variety styles and as a result the connection of aspects is not provided.
Some students learn grammar well, but in speech they meet difficulties to pronounce words. On this way we meet some questions. May be it is right, but in the course all aspects of teaching by new style are carrying out parallel. The theory is given, strengthens with different exercises, games, discussions in one class.We’ve spoken about groups which are got good results in following methods:
- the level of knowledge of students and assimilating possibilities are learned and then tasks are given by this way.
- attracting students’ attentions is put into practice fully and none student is never stayed out of attention.
- students speak mainly in foreign language during the lesson, translation of unclear words aren’t told instantly, but they try to realize them with mimics.
- students are divided into small groups and they use these methods: “work out discussions”, “speak own opinion”, “realize together”.
- make opportunities to students to think and speak minds freely, and their mistakes aren’t corrected instantly, but after student speaking they are discussed together.
- different grammar, phonetic and other types of games are organized. In this way roles are shared with students due to their knowledge.
- retell the text, variety pictures and watching short films and discussing them together, listening to news about theme and trying to realize them.
Moreover there are some methods to improve learning foreign language. Lessons are fully taught in English language based on all experiences, which are needed for lessons. That is to say students begin to understand by reading, by listening, practice of writing, improve speech and others. Students are become focal point of lessons, not teachers. The teacher only helps student to get knowledge. In this way the possibility of self studying is got well.
When lessons aren’t traditional, tasks are divided into couple or small group of students due to the type of it, students work in groups or individually. For instance, at the beginning of lesson teacher makes planand shares news with students. Each student participates in this planand shares news with each others. As a result mutual exchanging of knowledge is appeared and all students get to know the theme. Some exercises are done by couple or group of students.
For working in the group students are given such tasks: organize debates, debate the theme with playing roles, work with high techs. To work in couple they are given dialogues, grammar materials, and also reading. By these methods we can make all students to participate in lesson and teacher can help every student due to his or her demands.
We wanted to speak that the main thing in learning language is attracting students, that is to say they need motivation. It is necessary to keep activeness of student during and after lessons. The teachers around the world are always in searching about how to teach foreign languages successfully to students.
There are a lot of effective methods of teaching. Among the major differences between the traditional methods and the modern one’s is that the modern teaching refers to “Students Centered is teaching”, raising the process of teaching on such a scale that it would be not only beneficial but also interesting for learners. Good doses of such activities as Project Work, Development of Dialogues, Speech skills, Group\Pair work, Whole –Class Activities, Motivating Learners, Different Games, Role-play and Physical Activities become essential in Modern Teaching.
Today teachers are facing to the following fact: The language teachers need both models and tools. In addition to the essential theory, aims and goals – the vision or pattern of what is to be created – they must gain through study, reflection, trial and error, and experience, the necessary expertise in using the tools essential to success in their craft.
They must give serious thought to how they may lift their work to higher levels of usefulness and joy. Teachers who study and use Modern Methods of Teaching English are those who care about their own value – to self, to family, to society, to a larger community of the world. Finally, these individuals are doers – practical achievers in their chosen profession. That’s why we are sure that our work will be of a great value and help the teachers who want to become modern and up – to date professionals.
Modern Methods of Teaching English can be both challenging and demanding for teachers and students; they can also be very stimulating and rewarding. The degree to which we can adopt these approaches in our institute may well depend on willingness of our students, the proficiency of our teachers and their willingness to accept these Modern Methods, and the availability of resources within our environment. Moreover, the necessity to improve the level of education at high institutional levels is obvious nowadays. We are deeply convinced that creating collaborative atmosphere in the classroom, intellectual and informational approaches in teaching, teaching students to derive generalizations, deductive conclusion as well as developing debating abilities and individual study.
It’s important to provide every opportunity to expand and enhance the range of activities throughout life. Good teaching strategies and techniques include the planning and stating of carefully balances, varied learning sequences with clear achievable objectives, so that students know what is expected from them. They also include project work (class magazines, group wall displays) involving students in deciding together what they to do themselves, cooperation, Students self assessment, Role – play, Group work, Pair work, Dialogues. All these will help to develop students’ ability to work more effectively.
“Modern Methodology of Teaching English puts Speaking in Dialogues in the first place for developing speaking skills. These skills can be trained with various teaching aids, including texts of fiction. Such dialogues give and opportunity to avoid traditional rendering of the texts and turn them into living English speech”.
More than that, all the vocabulary is remembered much better. In dialogues, students train in fluency, quick reaction, acting skills and, of course, grammatical correctness. Group and Pair work are so much a part of our everyday teaching routine that we can hardly pause to think before partitioning the class to tackle some particular communicative task. Group work made it possible for the teacher to devote more time to the students’ oral production, which perhaps before had not been a priority of the foreign language classroom.
Another great point is Motivation. It is widely agreed that motivation has a great effect on a student’s capacity to learn. Motivation can be broken down into extrinsic and intrinsic forms. An intrinsic form comes from within the learner, who wants to learn for the sake of learning. The good news for teachers is that there are many things we can do in the classroom to increase the levels of extrinsic motivation. Circle games are very useful activities that involve the whole class, sitting in a circle. Many of the games recycle vocabulary and involve an element of fun. Nowadays pair work and work in small groups is very much in fashion.
The communicative approach encourages teachers to use a lot of pair work and therefore increase “student talking time”. We believe for a group to gel and for a good group dynamic to prevail there times when the class should work together as a whole. Circle games are good opportunity to bring the group together.
It is generally recognized today that individual learners have different learning styles, strategies and preferences. It is also generally accepted that to be effective lessons need a change of pace and focus to maintain the concentration of the learners. For both these reasons it is important that we teachers have as wide and flexible repertoire.
To conclude the key strategies for teaching English classes are probably developing a positive and collaborative working atmosphere and providing a variety of work suitable for different levels. We have to say, that practically it is impossible to use one method or approach solely when aiming to teach a second language successfully. Lessons should be designed with effective methods of teaching. In this way we’ll get our goals in teaching successfully.
- Richard J.C, Rogers T.S. Approaches and Methods in language Teaching/Cambridge university press,- 2010.
- Djalolov J. Teaching English Methods. Tashkent, 2010.
- Brougter G. Teaching English as a foreign language. 1996.
- Dj. Yuldashev. New pedagogical technology. Primary Education,1999.